Friday, November 21, 2014

Thailand Travel Tips 101

I recently had my solo trip to Thailand and traveling alone can really be challenging.

If you think that doing your research paper is time consuming, preparing your itinerary can take your time as well. You need to do extensive research so you won't mess up your supposed enjoyable vacation. It took me time to decide where to go and what to do and I told myself that it would help a lot if I had some insights from people who had been to Thailand.

For those who will be traveling to Thailand (or any other foreign country), I hope these tips can help you.

1. Exchange Rate
Since I didn't have the luxury of time to have my money converted in a bank or a nearby money changer, I had mine exchanged at the airport. As we all know, exchange rate in the airport can be really high.

I brought with me Php 20,000 pesos. I converted the 10k to baht and the other half converted to dollar. Airport exchange rate that time was 1 peso = 1.65 baht. It may look cheap but this is actually expensive. Please see computation below:

10,000 / 1.65 = 6,060 baht

10,000 / 46 = 217 dollars
217 dollars * 32.5 baht = 7,052 baht (I had the dollar converted in Thailand,1 dollar = 32.5 baht)

If you refer to the computation above, you can see that there's around 1,000 baht difference with the same peso value. But since I wasn't smart enough to figure this out before I had my money converted, I hope this will help future travelers. 1,000 baht is already a big thing when in Thailand.

Another implication of this is how you compute your expenses. For example, if you want to buy a dress for 120 baht, it will be around 198 pesos if you are going to convert it using the first conversion. But if you use the second one which gives you 1 peso = 1.41 baht, it will result to around 170 pesos.

You see? Even if it's only a 20 centavo difference in the exchange rate, this gets high when accumulated.

So lesson learned, look for the best money changer! :)

2. Learn their language
Thai's value their language very much. It will help if you learn the basic terms. They'd appreciate it if you make an effort to speak using their language.

Sawadee ka - Hello
Kob Khun Ka - Thank you

Do a little research on the basic expressions because some of them differs based on who says it (whether a male or a female).

Most Thai don't speak too much English so communication can be difficult at times.

3. OOTD
One of the things that we prepare during a travel is our outfits. But be mindful in preparing your OOTD especially if you're planning to visit temples. Make sure to wear appropriate clothing.

No sandos, sleeveless, shorts and skirt.

You wouldn't want to wear a colored robe in your pictures don't you?

So prepare your outfit accordingly.

4. Try street foods
During the duration of my stay, I did not eat in fancy restaurants. I stayed in Kao San Road and there were a variety of street foods that you can try. And all are affordable! :)

It would be safe to budget around Php80 baht for a decent meal. It usually costs me 50 baht for the food and 30 baht for the drinks.

Their 7/11 is also cheap. You get to buy biscuits and small drinks for only 5 baht. I usually buy here if I just want to much something before I go to sleep.

5. Shopping
I highly recommend Pratunam Area.

We had an early morning stroll at Chatuchak Market but the prices were ranging from 100-120 baht. Since I was using the money I got from the 1.65 exchange rate, I find it really expensive.

So I went to MBK Center but stuff are still expensive.

My last stop was Platinum Mall. Its set up is like 868 Mall in Divisoria. But still I was not contented with the prices. I still find them high. I had this unsettling feeling because I know I haven't found the place yet - the place they said I'll go crazy shopping.

So from Platinum Mall, I crossed to the other side of the street and followed the stalls. And viola! I found it! What a happy kid I am :)) My heart raced when I found all the dresses hanged in every stall. "I found it! I found it!", I told myself.

It was there when I realized that when people told me to Pratunam, they were not referring to the mall but the area.

Be mindful though because you can only get discounts for wholesale purchases. You need to buy at least 3 items. I visited this stall and she's charging me 400 baht if I buy only 1 dress but if I buy 2, she will give it for only 300 baht. So the thing here is you need to do a wholesale purchase :)

6. Take Tours
I think booking a tour is more convenient.

For instance, I booked a van to Pattaya for 300 baht. On my way home, I decided to commute. I spent 100 baht from Central Pattaya to bus terminal via Tuktuk (maybe there is a cheaper option but I was tired), 124 baht for the bus fare (Pattaya-Bangkok), and 7 baht bus fare (bus terminal - Kao San Road). It will give you a total of 231 baht, only 69 baht away from the private comfortable transport.

Since I am the alone, I took some tours to places that are 2-3 hours away from Bangkok.

Kanchanaburi (2-3 hours away from Bangkok)
Cost: 500 baht
Inclusions:
War Cemetery
War Museum (40 baht for the admission)
River Kwai
Lunch
Elephant Ride
Sai Yok Noi
Death Railway (100 baht for the train ride)

Note: You will be riding an old train in order to pass the Death Railway. If you want to experience the train, then go ride it. But if you only want to take a picture of the railway, I suggest you save your 100 baht because you'll get a better picture from the point where you're van will wait.

Ayuttaya
Cost: 400 baht
Ayuttaya is mostly temples so if you're someone who wants adventure, expect this tour to be boring. But if you are someone who appreciates history, then take this tour. Most of the temples we visited were ruins. To give you a background, Ayuttaya was once the capital of Thailand but Burma came and burned down their temples so most of them were destroyed.

Judging from how things went, I think it is better to take the tour rather than visit these places alone. The commute can be very hassle and it might be just around the same price.


I'm writing this because if someone wrote this before I went t o Thailand, this would have been really helpful. 

So there you go! I hope these tips can help you in your future trip to Thailand!




No comments:

Post a Comment