Friday, August 19, 2011

In Memoriam : The Bohol Quick Trip


I need to juggle with my schedule just to be able to go to Bohol and attend the wake of my late Uncle Nonoy.
I am on a graveyard shift and since I only have one day off, I need to go to Bohol first thing in the morning and return late afternoon.
This means I wasn't able to get any sleep that day and still has to report on duty that night.


Uncle Nonoy's real name is Jaime. We also call him Dickey.
My mother said he took good care of me when I was young.
He would fetch water for me to take a bath and even clean my poo.
I didn't remember any of those though but I do know he took care of me.

I remember one day in my childhood when he picked me up from school.
The fare was still 2.50 and I had this blue fur wallet that I really like.
Way back, I was already very tihik.
My uncle said we were short in funds and he needs to borrow my 2.50 so we can pay our tricycle fare.
He explained to me that it wouldn't be good if he'll go to the house and let the tricycle and the passengers wait until he would return and pay our fare.
But way back then, even when I was a child of a very young age, I was already very tihik!
So my uncle ran to our house, asked for money and let the tricycle driver and the other wait.

My uncle has 2 sons. Both of them are really handsome.
His first son is Dwight but we call him Tacio (the one doing the pogi sign).
When he was young, they used to rent in our store but they had to transfer.
I still remember that night when they transferred and I had to fight my tears from falling ;C
As you know, I was supposed to have a younger brother but he died in my mother's womb.

The next one is Axle but we call him Maslong (kanang nagmug-ot).
He is white and very cute.
When he was young, he was very fat and we would tease him "Amerikanong hilaw!"

They said the two had different reactions upon seeing their father's coffin.
Dwight said "Ma, kadugay na ba ni Papa ngara sa sulod uy. Initan nana siya dinha" Then he fanned his father.
Axle said "Ah, gwapo man gihapon si Papa"

Axle is very innocent.
During the last pictorial, I think he was confused whether to smile or what he would do.
He might have observed that all the people are crying.
When the camera clicks, he would suddenly smile and do the pogi sign then go back to his lonely face again.

Everyone cried in the funeral.
Maybe my Uncle was kind of badlungon but I know he will be well remembered.
Uncle's mother, brothers and sisters.

My uncle died because he was drunk driving using the motorcycle that he won from a contest.
It is unfortunate but it's the way of life.
We comfort ourselves by saying "He is in the good place now"
I never intended to cry, but seeing others cry made my tears fall as well.

I am not good at being alone.
I am not good with goodbyes.
It hurts me to know that someone has to be gone forever.
As a quote from one of my favorite series once said...

"The hardest part of saying goodbye is saying it everyday. But in order to honor the fallen, we must continue with our lives"

And so life goes on..
With memories that will surely be remembered...

Late that afternoon, we went back to Cebu.
I was with Julia, Mama, Papa and my Kuya Gabs.

Before going to work, my mother treated us in AA BBQ.
My father who continually asked me to take pictures of him.
He gets drunk a lot so I always remind him to take care of himself.

Julia and Kuya Gabs.
Julia was absent for 2 days since she was thinking that they won't have classes because contingents of Pasigarbo sa Sugbo will occupy their rooms.
Kuya Gabs had to give up his attendance bonus and had to be absent for the 25th time just to be in Bohol. They were close with Uncle Nonoy.
Me and Mama.
Alas! She is smiling and looking at the camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment