Saturday, November 19, 2011

The Beat Life!



For a year of my reporter life, I'm finally assigned to a beat: the POLICE Beat.
Which means most of my stories are about the police.
Be it issues, events, crimes or even dead people.

I go on duty now from 8 in the morning until 4 in the afternoon.
It's pretty much relaxed compared to the general beat since most of your sources are in their offices.
After 4-5 hours on the field, you can already make 3-5 stories.
Also, there are less chances for overtime work.

Its disadvantage however is TRAFFIC!
I need to wake up 2 hours before my scheduled time so I won't get caught in heavy traffic since it's rush hour.
After work, I also need to hurry going home because I need to watch our newscast but still, it's traffic.
Gahd, how can I learn to love traffic?

Also, as a beat reporter, you need to be updated with all the current events.
It's hard to be "outscooped" as they term it.
As a newbie in this beat, I take it as a challenge :)


No comments:

Post a Comment