Saturday, July 21, 2012

Baguio Diaries!

You might have known this already, this trip is my birthday gift for my Tatay.
As a backgrounder, my Nanay and Tatay were the one who took care of me since I was 13 days old.
I grew up in their care to the point that I was scared to be with my mother and father.
Now that I have work, this is my way of giving back to them.

I booked the ticket a few months after me, my mother and father went to Bacolod.
I was thinking that since I treated them to a vacay, it would also be fair enough that I would be doing it for my Nanay and Tatay.
It was piso fare again and I chose Manila since my Tatay always have stories about Manile and the places there.
Originally, I wanted to tour them within Manila and then Tagaytay but it was too expensive since I have to rent a car so we can go around Manila. They're senior citizens so they can not commute. Haha
Then someone suggested we'd rather go to Baguio.
I was worried about the long bus ride so I told Nanay and Tatay about the plan and they were okay about it.
So it was decided, Baguio it is!
We were on board an early flight. I can see by the look of my Nanay's face that she was scared. I'm scared of airplanes and it's something almost everybody knows so I had to be brave so as not to scare off the senior citizen. Haha She was closing her eyes all through the duration of the flight. Good thing, there was less turbulence! Good for me and her, too.

When we arrived at NAIA, we had our breakfast. Then I bought additional baggage since I know we'll be buying some pasalubong from Baguio.
Then off we go to the bus terminal :)
It was 6 and a half hours on our way to Baguio.
The oldies seem to enjoy the sceneries we passed by.
Too much for the narrative, here are the pictures :)))

Tito offered us his staff house in Baguio so we stayed there. It was a nice and cozy place. Here's a glimpse of it!
I really came back to UP Baguio so I can have a picture with Oble! Haha I remembered I was going to graduate then when I went here. My colleagues in Kasama sa UP who knew how scared I was in airplanes told me "Sige dai, magpapicture ka. Hindi lang naman pagka bagsak sa grado ang rason kung bakit hindi ka makakagraduate. Pwede ding bumagsak ang eroplano" Hahaha So I NEVER had a picture with Oble. Haha

Iskolar ng Bayan! - Senior Citizen version. Haha

Sunshine Park was located beside UP Baguio :)



The next place we went to is not so hard to guess right? BURNHAM PARK!
Yes, we tried boating :)

And also this! Haha It amazed me that there are a lot people renting bikes of different kinds here in Burnham. We also tried this and I was their driver! Haha




After our early dinner, we went home. 
It was still early, like before 7pm.
But they're old and it was a long trip so we had to rest early and prepare for our tour the next day :)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And yes, it's my Tatay's 73rd birthday today! :)))
So we toured around Baguio.
We ate breakfast and I was shocked that the owner of the restaurant was the foster parent of  Jose Mari Cabrera (if I remembered his name correctly)  Top 2 in the latest PMA Class. It was such a coincidence because I was able to interview him and we even went to their house here in Cebu to interview his parents and siblings. Haha

Anyways, after the breakfast is the start of our tour.

Zigzag View
In this place you can see the zigzag road going up to Baguio. hehe

We went to the Philippine Military Academy after this but we were not allowed to enter because we were wearing slippers. So sad :(
Then to Camp John Hay. We just passed by since it was more of a hotel/call center hub.

Wright Park.
I had to negotiate that I'd be on the horse for 15 minutes only since my Tatay doesn't want to ride. Haha Well, all for experience!


The Mansion
This is were the President would stay if he/she will be going to Baguio.
But according to someone, the Presidential Security Group are the ones who would occupy this building and the real mansion where the President would stay is behind it.








Mines View Park
The last time I went to Baguio, it was already dark when we visited Mines View Park.
So now I'm happy that I was able to take pictures with it's beautiful view during daylight :)









Chinese Temple
My Tatay was tired of walking so it was only Nanay and me who walked upsatirs.
The temple has similarities with the Taoist Temple here in Cebu


Strawberry Farm
Baguio is known for strawberries so we also visited the strawberry farm!
It was raining the day before so the place was muddy and it's not strawberry season yet.

I tried the strawberry taho instead :))

Tam-awan Village
The way I understand it, this village showcases the heritage of some tribes in Baguio.
I was amazed with one of the houses because I never imagined that it could be so spacious despite the fact that it looks small outside.


I was telling her to give the welcome sign and this was what she came up. Haha





Easter Weaving 
This was a factory where a lot of weaving was being done.


We went to Lourdes Grotto afterwards but they were too tired to climb up the loooong stairs so we decided to go back home.
Afterwards we had our dinner :)
I originally wanted to bring them to Volante but the place was full.
We ended up eating in Don Henrico's. 
I chose the place so I can ask the staff to sing a birthday song to my Tatay.
Judging by their reaction, they did not like the food because it was new to them.
They wanted to go home and I was stopping them because of the birthday song.
Much to my Tatay's surprise, all the staff went to our table and sang him a song.
I can see by the smile on his face that he was happy and he forgot the i-don't-like-the-food-here feeling.
He even said thank you to all the staff he passed by on our way out.



 
Happy Birthday, Ely!






We went home afterwards since we need to prepare for our early trip going back to Manila the day after :)


As for Manila, we were supposed to tour around MalacaƱang and Intramuros but it was raining real hard and some of the places were flooded so we weren't able to pursue the plan.
We stayed in MOA the whole time while waiting for our flight.
So we sat down - walked - sat down - walked - coffee - dinner.
I also had my hair cut! Haha






I know that there could be no amount in this world to compensate for the times you took care of me when I was young but I hope this trip sent my message to you that I'm very thankful for all those years you took care of me.
I'm also hoping that our trip gave you an experience that is worth remembering.

As for me, I may have spent a lot of money for this but I'm happy spending it that way because i know I made them happy.

Nay, Tay. Salamat sa tanan! Hinaot nalipay mo sa akong gamay nga pasalamat ninyo. 
More healthy years to come!


















No comments:

Post a Comment